AI models are innovative products designed to meet the daily and professional needs of their users. AI tools must be kick-started with a prompt to generate output. The more detailed and well-crafted prompts you give to AI models, the clearer and more concise output you can get. To craft effective prompts, you need to learn prompt engineering skills.
In this article, we will talk about what prompt engineering is and the best prompt engineering courses.
- Prompt engineering refers to your prompting skills to use the AI models effectively.
- Prompt engineering works by analysing the parameters of AI models and basic parts of prompts.
- To level up your prompt engineering skills, you need to learn prompting basics, generative AI, natural language processing and large language models.
- You can take advantage of online courses to learn the basics of prompt engineering and even get a certificate.
- If you want to take your basic prompt engineering skills to the next level and learn prompting methods suitable for various use cases, you can check the TextCortex Prompt Engineering Guide.
- You can learn prompting skills for popular AI tools with Udemy's "The Complete Prompt Engineering for AI Bootcamp" course.
- If you want to use the GPT-4 model more effectively, you can visit OpenAI's "Prompt Engineering Guide" or Class Central's "ChatGPT Prompt Engineering Course".
- You can learn basic prompting with Coursera's Prompt Engineering Specialization course.
What is Prompt Engineering?
Prompt engineering refers to crafting effective prompts for using AI models such as GPT-4, Stable Diffusion and Midjourney. Since the method of using AI models is through prompts, improving your prompt engineering skills will help you better control AI models.
What Do Prompt Engineers Do?
A prompt engineer works by analysing the parameters, patterns, and reactions of AI models to changes in inputs. Since two different AI models can respond to the same prompt with different outputs, you need to learn the parameters and pattern of each AI tool. But you don't need to worry, the basic prompting principles of every AI model are the same.
How to Craft High-Quality Prompts?
To craft high-quality prompts, you need to be familiar with the target AI tool. When crafting a prompt, you must make sure that your prompt contains context about the instruction or question and the desired output. This way, you can write your prompts appropriately and use AI models more efficiently.
You can also enhance your prompts with techniques such as few-shot learning and chain-of-thought. You can ensure that the output is focused and concise by adding data that the AI model can reference in your prompt.
How to Learn Prompt Engineering?
If you want to level up your prompt engineering skills, the most effective method is to learn the basics and practice your skills on AI models. Even if you learn basic prompting methods with prompt engineering guides, you need to improve your skills with experience and practice.
Best Prompt Engineering Courses for 2024
If you want to build a foundation for your prompt engineering skills, online prompt engineering courses are the most straightforward and effective method. Prompt engineering courses teach the basics of prompting and analysing the parameters of AI models. Let's take a closer look at the best online prompt engineering courses for 2024.
TextCortex Prompt Engineering Guide
TextCortex, your friendly AI assistant, provides a series of prompt engineering guides to help its users improve their prompting skills and use TextCortex tools at maximum efficiency. Simply head to our YouTube channel and click the prompt engineering guide playlist.
In this playlist, you can find various guides ranging from basic prompt engineering skills to task-focused prompt crafting. Our prompt engineering guide series offers:
- Basic Prompting Skills
- Midjourney Prompting Skills
- Creating Prompt Templates
- Text-based Task Prompting
- Task Automation with Prompting
- Report/Data Analyses
- Customer Service Tasks in Multiple Languages
If you have learned prompt engineering skills, you can practice them with our conversational assistant, ZenoChat. ZenoChat comes with a persona named "Enigma, the prompt engineer," designed to assist users with prompt engineering tasks. With this persona, you can enhance your prompts or generate prompts for any AI model from scratch.
Udemy - The Complete Prompt Engineering for AI Bootcamp
“The Complete Prompt Engineering for AI Bootcamp” course, which you can find on Udemy, is a good choice for an introduction to prompt engineering. This course is designed to increase your prompting skills for popular AI tools such as GPT-4, Midjourney, and Stable Diffusion. This course offers to teach:
- Strengths and weaknesses of popular AI models
- Python coding patterns for prompting
- Basic Prompt Engineering Skills
- ChatGPT Prompt Pack
- Five Principles of Prompting
- AI Text Model Prompting
- AI Image Model Prompting
The only requirement for this Udemy course is Python coding skills. If you are familiar with Python and have basic coding skills, this course is designed for you.
Also, this course includes:
- 13.5 Hours of Video
- Assignments for Practice
- 6 Articles about Prompting
- 101 Downloadable Resources
- Certificate of Completion
Getting a certificate when you complete this course means you have another document that you can add to your CV. If you need a certificate to prove your prompt engineering skills, you can consider this course.
OpenAI’s Prompt Engineering Guide
OpenAI's prompt engineering guide was shared by OpenAI to obtain better results from Large Language Models. This guide sometimes references OpenAI's GPT models.
OpenAI's prompt engineering guide explains basic prompt-writing techniques and the essential parts you should include in your prompt. By reading this guide, you can learn the basics of prompt engineering and GPT-4 prompting. Additionally, this guide teaches GPT-4 prompting strategies and how to use complex prompts in a simplified manner.
We recommend that guide if you want to learn GPT-4 prompting techniques and become familiar with basic prompting.
Class Central ChatGPT Prompt Engineering Course
If you are looking for a free prompt engineering 101 course, Class Central's "ChatGPT Prompt Engineering Course" is designed for you. This course aims to teach basic prompt engineering skills and basic information about generative AI. Some of the topics that the course covers are:
- Generative AI
- Natural Language Processing (NLP)
- Generative Pretrained Transformer (GPT)
- Basic Prompt Engineering Skills
- Types of Prompts
- Advanced Prompting
If you are going to start prompt engineering from scratch and do not have much knowledge about AI, you should consider trying this course.
Coursera Prompt Engineering Specialization
If you are looking for basic prompt engineering knowledge, Coursera's "Prompt Engineering Specialization" course is designed for you. This course offers flexible time management and is available in 19 languages.
This course will teach you the basics of prompt engineering and how to use ChatGPT effectively. Additionally, the course covers ChatGPT advanced data analysis and generative AI principles.
Coursera's "Prompt Engineering Specialization" course gives you Vanderbilt University's career certificate when you complete it. You can add that certificate to your LinkedIn profile, resume, or CV to prove your prompt engineering skills.