Are you in the corner creating the best product title to increase conversion rate?
Finding the best strategic solution to increase sales on an e-Commerce shop can sometimes be very challenging and a never-ending battle.
Shoppers can’t enter your eCommerce store physically, so they can’t smell, taste, or try your products to choose which one to buy.
To attract them, you need to provide shoppers with a virtual taste and experience of your products through visuals and text.
What is the best way to do that?
Creating product titles that are effective and different from everything else the market already offers and keeping up with your competition.
This article will introduce basic guidelines on the best product titles, examples by category, and what to avoid when creating them.
In addition, you will get tips on how you can improve product title’s efficiency to boost your conversions.
Roll up your sleeves, and let’s get started.
Why are product titles important?
Product titles are responsible for alluring potential buyers, getting them interested in considering your product as an option for purchase.
They have four essential functions in the selling process:
- They are the first buyer’s impression of the product.
- They are the source of leading keywords that are helping search engines to set you at the top of the most valuable results in the query.
- They serve as your primary tool to scale up click rates to your store.
- If well optimized, they will set you in the correct product category that will directly influence your product’s visibility.
For example, let's say you are selling a T-shirt made of cotton available in black color and all sizes.
You need to create a product title that will be convincing enough to attract shoppers to click specifically on your product and not on thousands of similar ones with the same attributes.
Optimizing your product titles is crucial because it will provide a wider net of consumers and increase your chances for successful conversions.
What to avoid?
Product titles should clearly conduct what you're selling.
Here are some of the things you shouldn't overlook when creating product titles:
- Don't overload your titles with information - Your product title should be transparent and concrete. Too much information can drive your buyers away.
- Avoid typos - Mistakes in writing can cost you your credibility and visibility. Searchers usually define products with grammar mistakes as "not relevant", and they will not be able to position your product under the correct category properly.
- Avoid punctuation and special characters - Special characters such as ":)", "^&^" and "!!!" are considered as irrelevant for buyers and search engines. Same as with typos, a product might end up in the wrong query.
- Avoid foul language and promotional phrases - Profanity will get you banned, and promotional words like "the best", "free shipping", "50% off" are not good to have so make sure to scratch them off from your product titles.
- Don't be false or misleading - Your product titles should contain information about attributes and features that it possesses. Also, don't include brand names other than the ones you are listing.
If you were ever wondering why your click rate is low, compare these recommendations with some of your previous product listings. Maybe you can find a part of the answer.
What to do?
Product titles are your primary strategy to persuade buyers to click specifically on your product instead of competitors.
Also, every successful eCommerce owner knows that SEO optimization is the best possible way to "arrange" your product names.
This way, you will satisfy both–search queries and users' expectations.
Did you know that shoppers rather browse products than search for them?
This can be your perfect opportunity to catch their eye with attractive product titles.
Try applying these steps to improve your rating performance:
- Find your leading keywords. Words that you use in product titles help search engines set your product into the proper category and match you up in search queries. Put all relevant keywords at the forefront of your product title for better visibility.
- Keep it short. Internal search tools and external engines have a predefined maximum length of main keywords you are supposed to use for product titles. Your product titles should be between 50-75 characters for the best performance.
- Include modifiers. When people search for products, they usually like to add specifics, color, size, age, or any other feature or attribute for more accurate search results. This will increase your chances of making a match with target consumers.
- Add your brand name to the title. A user usually likes to identify themselves with a specific brand. In a certain way, that is a form of loyalty. Adding your brand name at the beginning of your product title can improve your brand awareness.
- Structure your keywords properly. Good practice shows that the order of keywords in the product title does matter. Depending on the product type you are selling, the structure of words may vary, but in general, it should look something like this:
Brand - Model - What it is - Color - Material - Other Relevant Specification
- Use AI tools to automate the process. Nowadays AI writing assistants exist to help you with those repetitive and tiring actions. Using them you can save a lot of time and produce 10x more. Did you know that 51% of eCommerce players have implemented automation technologies across sales, marketing, and customer service teams to ensure a seamless user experience for customers? You can do it too.
- Back up your product titles with appropriate product descriptions. Product descriptions are the second most important factor in your selling process. They are responsible for the purchase outcome. Therefore, everything that product title contains the product description needs to back up. If the information in the description is vague, the product title becomes useless. So one shouldn't exist without the other.
These basic rules are easy to apply and can make a noticeable distinction in engaging with your consumers.
Let's put these tips into practice to get a better perception of bad vs. good product title examples.
You can use these examples to implement changes to your product titles. This way, you will increase product title performance in the search queries.
Using this as your guide, you will start creating product titles that look much more proficient and hook buyers to engage more.
Best examples by categories
Let’s go through some of the best product title examples and templates to create more effective and engaging product titles.
1. Apparel Category Template & Example
This example can help you drastically improve your apparel product titles to improve the user experience by providing them with all the relevant information about the product.
On the other hand, it will also have a significant influence on your SEO ranking.
2. Consumables Category Template & Example
In this example, you can notice how information like the count of pieces gives a clear picture to the buyer of what he can expect to get in package.
Providing such information in your product title will significantly help buyers understand what they will get and impact their interest in finding out more about the product.
3. Hard goods Category Template & Example
Specifying attributes like size or product material is relevant information often included in buyers’ searches.
Adding such information in your product title for the hard goods category will improve performance in search queries. Make sure to add all relevant attributes you think can be interesting for buyers so they can easily find your product.
4. Electronics Category Template & Example
When creating product titles for the electronics category, avoid going overboard, including irrelevant information. To stand out these kind of products, people often include information such as features and accessories in the product title.
From buyers’ perspective, that is not important for the search query and should be included in the product description. Instead, you can add information about Model X, which is more likely to be included when searching products from the electronics category.
5. Seasonal Category Template & Example
In this example, you can notice how the information about an occasion can become a valuable keyword to specify seasonal product categories.
Make sure to include words like “Wedding”, “Christmas”, “Halloween” to attract buyers to your products.
6. Books Category Template & Example
Book category is maybe the most straightforward category for product titles.
When searching books, people will enter the exact name of the book or the author to find it. However, adding format information such as “hardback box set” will attract more attention and can be used as a keyword for specified searches.
To wrap up
So, what is the ultimate goal for product optimization, and how can you benefit from it?
Well-optimized products can maximize your sales and conversion rates if you create them properly.
Following the best practices of successful companies is an excellent way to start creating your own magic formula to create satisfying product titles and descriptions.
The ones that will attract more consumers and shake up your sales performance.
The following ones are the most beneficial:
- Challenge yourself to predict consumer’s expectations.
- Generate your product titles by applying basic rules for optimization
- Create product descriptions to support your product titles with compelling and strong arguments
- Facilitate your daily routine and start optimizing your products at scale
Optimized product titles mean nothing without high-quality product descriptions that will support them for sales and SEO.
Why are product descriptions that important?
You write product descriptions because people mostly use them to decide which product to buy.
And the average cart abandonment rate across all industries on eCommerce stores is 69.89%.
Optimizing product titles and descriptions can definitely help you increase conversions and sales.
Therefore, the product descriptions contain sufficient information based on features and benefits that are ultimately important to consumers to decide if the product is relevant or not.
Good product titles need to stand out and attract more potential consumers. High-quality product descriptions should convince them to buy the product.
However, if you want to score high in your performance and ratings, you should consider putting optimization tools, such as TextCortex, to practice.
If you start using it as part of the sales process, you will never have to think about missing important opportunities, wasting time, or wasting money ever again.
TextCortex helps you produce much higher product title quality in seconds.
To launch your product descriptions in seconds and increase your sales and SEO ranking, start using TextCortex for free and start optimizing your products today.